October 18, 2010

One aspect of Sri Aurobindo's doctrine is Providential

Like every other philosopher, Sri Aurobindo develops his own conceptual language. Getting used it takes time and attention. I had to finish almost first hundred pages before I could start appreciating the literary beauty of his genius. ...
I have, in the past, described one aspect of Aurobindo Ghose's doctrine as Providential. Here is a passage in Aurobindo's brilliant epic Savitri that shows just what I am pointing at (book one, canto four): ...
We work to provide assistance to scholars and researchers who are interested in the lives and works of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother and accordingly we ...
5 weeks down.. - Auroville - Auroville, India - Living Routes
I can't believe we've already been here for 5 weeks! It feels like I just got here, but it feels like I've been here forever as well. ...
Debidatta Aurobinda Mahapatra: Birthday Reflections By Debidatta Aurobinda Mahapatra
I like to mention here that since childhood, I am avid follower of Sri Aurobindo. In fact I learnt about him from my mother, who is also his follower. I read a lot about his philosophy and ideals, and I sincerely try to emulate them. ...
Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Why would you edit anybody’s work?": To Sunil:
You ask: “Why would you edit anybody’s work?”

Before I can answer that question, my question to you is, have you ever been involved in the work, process or business of editing? I sincerely doubt it, because you demonstrate very scant knowledge in the domain of editing literary material. But before that, do you even know the meaning of editing?
In case you don’t, here is the definition of the word Edit from the Merriam-Webster dictionary:
- to prepare (as literary material) for publication or public presentation.
- to alter, adapt, or refine especially to bring about conformity to a standard or to suit a particular purpose.

If you are capable of understanding the above definition, you may also understand that none of Sri Aurobindo’s (or for that matter any author’s) works could have been published if they were not edited by someone. And whenever new information or material related to an author’s literary material is found, a new and different edition of that author’s literary work is the inevitable outcome.

So there is absolutely nothing surprising, scandalous, sacrilegious, wrong or evil if two editions of Sri Aurobindo’s works are not exactly identical, and it is even better when those changes represent Sri Aurobindo’s original writings even more faithfully.

Now, if you want us to believe that some people are deliberately “tampering” with Sri Aurobindo’s works because they have an Evil or Diabolical plan led by some Jeffrey Kripal and that they are doing so with the full connivance of the Ashram’s authorities, and that you think that you are one of those enlightened, pure and devoted souls that knows more and is more sincere than all those who are involved in the editing of Sri Aurobindo’s works, then any sane person would advise you to go to Dr. Alok Pandey (the shrink) and join his army of Light and Truth. You would be in perfect company. And I don’t think that the reason for which many people believe that you are hallucinating needs any explanation.

As for myself, given that people like yourself, Dr. Alok Pandey, and a few others have monopolized all that is Divine and True, all one can do is to wish all of you a quick recovery. All the best! A.A.D. Posted by Anonymous to Savitri Era Open Forum at 3:30 PM, October 18, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment